Telemedicine Started in SRMC
Statistics (Till Sep – 2007)
Telemedicine department of Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, CHENNAI, has been one of the pioneers in INDIA in starting the telemedicine program in this country since 1997. The first Pan-Asian Neuro Conference was conducted in March 2000 which was the first of its kind in INDIA connecting JAPAN, Hong Kong, Singapore & SRMC-Chennai since then there was no turning back and tremendous work has been done in helping different type of people and patients in every part of the country giving medical expertise to the people to who otherwise would not have got specialized opinion from the best available consultants.
VSAT Connectivity by ISRO in SRMC
Partnership with Indian Space Research Organization in the year 2001 to serve the Nation and since then there was no turning back and today we are proud to say that this institution is able to connect 165 centres in INDIA through VSAT link. As well as we can connect 35 Specialties centres for sharing CME programs and Live Surgeries.
SRMC - GBPH – Inauguration
We were chosen by ISRO as the first superspeciality hospital to give opinion to the island of Andaman & Nicobar through VSAT link, which was inaugurated by then Prime Minister Sri. ATAL BIHARI VAJPAYEE in beginning of 2002.
Role of Telemedicine in SRMC
Our prime Telemedicine service to GB Pant Hospital having 550 bedded capacity located in Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar island where they do not have superspeciality services like Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Cardiac surgery, Nephrology, Urology, Medical Gastro Enterology, Surgical Gastro Enterology, Plastic Surgery & etc., Some time major trauma cases like Road-Accident & Critical Pregnancy cases are also discussed through our telemedicine. Today I am happy to inform that several lives have been saved by this connectivity where through Real Time telemedicine we had given opinion to the various superspeciality services and other specialities if needed.
Services Offer by Telemedicine in SRMC
- Total Case Discussion - 3000 (Only on Super specialties)
- Total CME Programs - 900
- International Teleconferences - 150
- International Live Surgeries - 30
- Live Surgeries (Nationwide) - 80
- Grand Round Meetings - 175
We offer both for Patient’s Care & Academic programs in the following ways.
- Expert’s Opinion / Specialist’s Opinion
- Public Awareness programs
- Case follow-ups (Post-Surgery)
- CME Programs
- Guest Lectures
- National Workshops
- Physician Conferences
- Clinical Society Meetings (Surgeons)
- Live Surgeries
Village Resource Centre (VRC) Project ISRO – SRMC - MSSRF
I am happy to inform you that the SRMC was chosen as an important member for a Village Resource Program in collaboration with ISRO & MSSRF, which was inaugurated by our Hon’ble Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh in the year 2004 through which we have given opinion on medical expertise to the villages of Ramanathapuram & Thirunelveli districts of Tamil Nadu. This program is likely to be expanded many villages in the country very soon.
Arogya Sudha VRC Project over Wireless Looped Link (WLL) in collaboration with N-Logue Communication & Anna University. Our institution has future plan in the way of expansion like connecting to many districts to give free opinion to their need. Today we have connected to in and around Thiruvallur District near to our hospital through a wireless technology to reach 90 villages where our doctors regularly give medical information to the needy people almost every day. And this program has been named as “AROGYA SUDHA” and we planned to connect at least 400 centres for an effective health care delivery in this year.
SRMC Telemedicine @ Southern Railway, CHENNAI
First Time in our Nation At present we are also using ISDN facility to connect our Hospital at Southern Railway Station which is 20 kilometer away from our hospital where 3 lakh (300 thousand) people commute every day. We give Tele-consultation for emergency care where Real time ECG & other necessary information are transferred to our main hospital through the server to get the specialist opinion. We have saved many lives through this technology. Patients suffering from Acute Heart Attacks have been saved through immediate opinions were got from the specialist and treatment was initiated immediately, Stabilized & transferred later to SRMC if need for future clinical management.
SRMC – Mobile Telemedicine
I am happy to inform that the SRMC will be in the MAP of mobile telemedicine connectivity. ISRO has already given us the Antenna & VSAT connectivity. This will serve the need of many people especially in the rural areas where this service will help many people in the long run.
SRMC TELEMEDICINE for WHO programmes
We have been recognized by WHO to provide training to WHO fellows for Telemedicine. We have trained teams from North Korea consisting of Doctors and I.T. Professionals. The other team from Maldives got trained in our telemedicine center.
SRMC Private Telemedicine Network SRMC
The following centers Tied-up with us for PATIENT’S CARE Program
Private Telemedicine Network was proudly started in 2005 by acquiring a very powerful server with full PAC System for doing Realtime telemedicine and today we have connected about 25 private centers within a year where we give opinions for patients and conduct many CME programs through this channel. Most of our private network has been connected to benefit the centres where VSAT is not available & also private enterprise people who need this service. I am happy to inform you that we have connected many centres in West Bengal and North eastern areas of our country, an average of 8 cases are being discussed regularly. This system being very cost effect there is a very good demand for a future improvement since the cost of software are being worked out to become more cheaper.
Sharing the CMEs & Live Surgeries to the following centers (Academic Activities)
- GB Pant Hospital, Port Blair, ANDAMAN & NICOBAR Island
- BJR Hospital, CAR-NICOBAR island
- Satish Dhavan Hospital, SHAR, Sriharikota, ANDHRA PRADESH
- Satish Dhavan Memorial Hospital, Sullurpet, Andhra Pradesh
- J.D.S. District Hospital, Jorhat, ASSAM
- Dr. Bala Surgical Centre, Victoria, SEYCHELLES, U.K.
- Visvesvaraya Institute of Technological Museum, Bangalore, KARNATAKA
- SRITMC, Kolkata, WEST BENGAL
- SRITMC, Durgapur, WEST BENGAL
- SRITMC, Siliguri, WEST BENGAL
- SRITMC, Guwahati, ASSAM
- Saradha Dhanvantri Charitable Hospital, Sringeri, KARNATAKA
- Huma Multispeciality Hospital, Chennai, TAMILNADU
- Ravi Institute of Child Health, Nellore, ANDHRA PRADESH
- Dr. Kumaraswamy Health Centre, Kanniyakumari, TAMILNADU.
International Centres for Academic Activities
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, NEW DELHI
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Cochin, KERALA
- Government Medical College, Srinagar, JAMMU & KASHMIR
- Government Medical College, Trivandrum, KERALA
- Government Medical College, Thanjavur, TAMIL NADU
- Indira Gandhi Post Graduate Institute & Govt. Hosp., Pondicherry
- JawarlalNehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Pondicherry
- JDS Civil Hospital, Jorhat, ASSAM
- Manipal University, MAHE
- Narayana Hrudhayalaya, Bangalore, KARNATAKA
- Regional Cancer Institute, Thiruvanandhapuram, KERALA
- Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal, MANIPUR
- Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow, UTTAR PRADESH
Connectivity Available in SRMC
- Harvard University, Boston, USA
- New York University, USA
- Loma Linda University, USA
- Fujita Health University, JAPAN
- Gulf Medical College, Dubai, UAE
- Moscow Medical & Surgical Centres, Moscow, RUSSIA
- University of Southern California, USA
For Trade Enquiry & other Administration please contact at the following
- Satellite Links - 3 links (VSAT-2 & EduSAT-1)
- Global IP - 2 lines (2Mb + 512Kbps)
- ISDNs - 1152 Kbps (128 X 9 lines)
- Leased Line – 2 Mbps
Dr. K. Selvakumar, M.Ch.(Neuro),
Prof. of Neurosurgery &
Chairman – Telemedicine,
A-2, Sri Ramachandra Hospital Main Building,
Sri Ramachandra University,
Porur, CHENNAI – 600 116,
Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
Hosp. Ph.: 91-44-24768027 (6 lines) Extn.: 443 / 444
Hosp. Ph.: 91-44-24765588 (direct) Fax: 91-44-24769783
Email : email@example.com
Communication Link Details - Availability
||10.235.1.61 (VC* Call Rate <=320 )
||10.235.1.62 (VoIP*); Ph.No.1070
||: 184.108.40.206 (VC Call Rate <=512)
||: 91-44-24769734 (VC Call Rate <=768)
||: 91-44-24769966 (VC Call Rate <=384)
||: 91-44-24765591 (AC*)
VC => Video Conferencing AC => Audio Conferencing
VoIP => Voice Over Internet Protocol
For General Information mail to :firstname.lastname@example.org
|| Email Id
|Dr. K Selvakumar
||Prof. of Neuro Surgery & Chairman Telemedicine
|Mr. K. Mukundan
| Mr.D.Satheesh Kumar
Contact for Technical Details in Telemedicine
D. Satheesh Kumar, D.E.C.E., B.Sc.(Com.Sci.), M.Sc. (I.T.),
B-7, Department of Telemedicine,
Sri Ramachandra Hospital Main Building,
Sri Ramachandra University,
Porur, CHENNAI – 600 116,
Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
Hosp. Ph.: 91-44-24768027 (6 lines) Extn.: 150.
Tele/Fax : 91-44-24769783 (direct)
Email : email@example.com