The department offers degree programs at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels in the field of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology.
The undergraduate (Bachelor in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology – 4 years duration) and post graduate (Masters in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology – 2 years duration) degree courses are recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), a statutory body created under the Rehabilitation Council of India Act, 1992.
1. Bachelor in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (B. ASLP) - Course commences in the month of July every year
Eligibility: Candidate should have passed with a minimum of 50% in 10+2 examination or equivalent/ two years of Pre-University/Pre-Degree examination conducted by the Pre University Board or Education Department of respective state. Further, the candidate should have studied Physics, Chemistry & Biology / Mathematics / Computer Science / Statistics / Electronics / Psychology and should be of age 17 years or above. Admissions are based on qualifying entrance examination conducted at Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research.
For additional information on the course. click here
2. M.Sc (Audiology) and M.Sc (Speech-Language Pathology) - Course commences in the month of July/August every year
Eligibility: Candidates should have completed 4 years (including 1 year internship) of Bachelors degree in the field of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology from institutions recognized by RCI. Admissions are based on qualifying entrance examination conducted at Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research. For additional information on the courseClick here
3. Ph.D in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences
Department of Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences has grown over last 20 years to provide a strong learning environment for pursuing doctoral studies as part-time and full-time researcher.As of April 2019, Seven candidates have completed part-time PhD from the department and 13 candidates are pursuing their doctoral studies.
Prospective candidates may go through the Ph.D regulations
on the Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research website for details regarding eligibility for part-time and full-time PhD, entrance exam for PhD and admission process. Full time PhD candidates may apply for intramural funding through the Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research Founder Chancellor Shri N. P. Ramasamy Udayar Research Fellowships or extramural funding in collaboration with the faculty. Please contact the department for more information about the PhD program. For additional information on the available PhD guides –
In addition to transacting the academic and clinical curriculum for undergraduate and post graduate degree programs in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology, the department is actively engaged in providing several additional training opportunities to students enrolled in the department as well as working professionals. Examples of such additional training are listed below:
- Annual voice update programs are conducted for continuing education on voice evaluation and treatment.
- Special training on cochlear implant mapping using relevant software.
- Special training for conducting newborn hearing screening.
- On the job training for interns at various speech and hearing centres in Chennai.
- Internationally recognized training in research ethics through Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Research Ethics Educational Programme of USA in India for post graduate and doctoral students.
The department also provides training inputs to students from other departments within the University including departments of Nursing, Human Genetics, Paediatrics, ENT- Head & Neck Surgery among others and other Universities such as University of Toronto, Vellore Institute of Technology, etc
Teachers / Faculty Training
Faculty members undergo basic level Faculty Development Program (FDP) in the initial few years of joining the university. Advance level training is provided for senior faculty. Training is provided both within the department and at other Universities.
Completed Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research – Smile Train Cleft Speech Training Initiative (SRUSTI) from 2008 to 2012 and facilitated establishment of 21 Smile Train Speech Partner centres across India with funding support from Smile Train, USA (Rs. 1,15,87,217)
Memorandum of Understanding with University of Toronto, Canada since 2009 for internship exchange programme for students pursuing Masters in Speech Language Pathology at University of Toronto.
- Wednesdays of every week is dedicated for providing opportunities for learning through vertical integration of all batches of students. A range of programs are conducted from 2 to 4 pm on Wednesdays’ including clinical case presentations, guest lectures and seminars by eminent speakers from different areas, clinical lectures and workshops.
- Small group clinical presentations both in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology are done in the clinics focussing on students experience in working with patients in the clinic.
- Several self learning modules have been developed in the department to encourage independent learning and practice in topics such as newborn hearing screening, phonetic transcription in Tamil, recording video, listening training etc.
- Faculty and students jointly attend webinars arranged by National and International organizations
- Opportunities for gaining insights into life skills is provided through interactions with eminent persons in a program called ‘Antarprerna’