Introduction & Objectives
The Department of Medical Education has been established in the year 2015 as per the directions of Medical Council of India for the Nodal centres to be upgraded as Departments. The evolution of the department dates back to 1997 with the establishment of Medical Education Unit as per the regulations 1997 of Medical Council of India. The Unit gained momentum and strength from 2001 by its association with Harvard Medical International. This lead to a decade of innovative curricular reforms resulting in the launch of Integrated undergraduate medical curriculum and PRODEV (Professional Development Program). The faculty development programs conducted in association with the Medical Council of India and Harvard Medical International in parallel to curriculum development, equipped the faculty and leadership for the curricular changes. One of the major outcome of this process was that Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute became recognized as the Regional centre of Medical Council of India for Basic Workshop in Medical Education Technologies and thereby an avenue to externalize the curricular principles to other medical colleges. The next up gradation was to the level of Nodal Centre in 2012 and we are proud to say that we are one of the 10 centres throughout India offering Advance Course in Medical Education. Up gradation of Nodal Centre as the Department of Medical Education is the recent feather in our cap.
The main objectives of the Department of Education are to
- Be responsible for all educational processes at SRMC & RI.
- Provide oversight on the educational activities of the medical college (UG &PG).
- Ensure continuous quality improvement in Medical education.
- Plan, implement and evaluate curricular development and faculty development in the medical college in alignment with the Medical Council of India initiatives.
- Ensure curriculum development through the curriculum committee.
- Ensure Faculty development by conducting Faculty development programs and workshops through the Faculty development committee.
- Sensitize and facilitate Information and Communication technology integration in the medical curriculum.
- Help develop specialized educational labs, like Skills lab, Simulation Centre, Communication labs etc
- Facilitate educational research through projects, research publication and Ph.d course.
- Keep the medical college updated of the current trends in Medical education by conducting journal clubs, workshops and conferences.
- Provide an educational platform for national and international networking and collaboration.
- Offer courses in Medical education.
- MEU reconstituted every 3 years
- MEU meets 10 times a year
- Need based additional meetings
- Predetermined agenda circulated to all members, deliberate on agenda issues during meeting followed by action taken
- The office copies of all these proceedings are available with the Secretary MEU.
- Now the Medical Education Unit is comes under to SRI RAMACHANDRA CENTRE FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION (SRCFHPE)