Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry
• DBT Wellcome Thrust / India Alliance - One of the faculties has been awarded the Early Career Fellowship by the Wellcome Trust DBT India Alliance. Funding received for this project is approximately One crore.
• Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)
• Indian Council of Medical research (ICMR)
• Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
• Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
• Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC) - Path-breaking Research has been undertaken in collaboration with University of Western Australia under the SPARC Scheme and funding received was approximately 48 lakhs.
• GATE grants - The details of the grants received under the GATE grants projects as Research Starter Grants are as follows
• Dr Akila Ganesan - Association of sleep time feeding practices with Early Childhood Caries (ECC); Amount received - INR 0.69 lakh
• Dr Selva Kumar H - Evaluation of masticatory stress distribution and extent of Peri-cervical dentine in primary teeth using dynamic finite element analysis; Amount received - INR 1,00,000
- Ajman University, Ajman, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Children’s Dental Centre, Seoul, South Korea
- Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- King Faisal University, Al Ahsa, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, California, USA
- University of Western Australia, Perth
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
- K M Shah Dental College & Hospital, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth ( Deemed to be University), Vadodara, Gujarat, India
- Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, Mahatma Gandhi University of Medical Sciences and Technology, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi
- M S Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Narayana Dental College and Hospital, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh
- Oxford Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, India
- Sardar Patel Post Graduate Institute of Medical and Dental Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Ongoing Doctoral Research Projects
• Evaluation of interproximal contact areas of primary molars as a risk factor for early childhood caries.
• Association of sleep time feeding practices with Early Childhood Caries (ECC)
• Sequence and Chronology of permanent tooth eruption in Chennai population, using multiple parameters
• Assessment and Evaluation of Andrew’s fifth key to normal occlusion – A study cast and CBCT Analysis
• Polymorphisms of Enamel Formation genes in a South-Indian population with Early Childhood Caries - A Case Control Study
• Mobile App to provide sustained Anticipatory Guidance Design, Development, Validation, User perception, and Effectiveness
• Evaluation of Masticatory stress distribution and extent of peri-cervical dentine in primary teeth using dynamic finite element analysis
Ongoing Research Projects of PG Students
Prevalence of Cusp of Carabelli – A Systematic Review
Crown dimensions in primary teeth - A Systematic Review
Chemical composition of enamel in primary and permanent teeth- A Systematic.
Evaluation of Occluso-gingival heights of primary molars
Early Childhood Caries and Iron Deficiency Anaemia - A Systematic Review
Emergency Management of Injured TeethPublications
In vivo investigation of variations In the number and pattern of root canal orifices using naked eyes and by magnifying loupes
Prevalence of oral anomalies in newborn
The number of Publications in Peer-reviewed National/ International Journals is the key indicator of the research activity and the diverse research projects undertaken by the department. This is depicted in the following figure. Total number of publications in high impact factor journals in the last two years 2020 and 2021 (Till date) is 10.
Paul P Taylor Award – This is awarded to the lead author of the most prestigious article in Journal Pediatric Dentistry for the previous year and in the year 2020, it was conferred upon Dr M S Muthu.
‘Oral Wipes’patent filed – Dr.M.S.Muthu