There are currently an estimated 15 million blind people in India. 6.8 million of these suffer from corneal blindness with vision less than 6/60 in at least one eye, and of these, about 1 million have bilateral corneal blindness. If the present trend continues, it is expected that the number of corneally blind individuals in India will increase to 10.6 million by 2020.
Of these at least 3 million can be benefited by corneal transplantation. Thus, to effectively meet the ever growing demand, we need around 150,000 corneal transplants to be performed every year.
SRU Eye Bank
The Eye Bank in SRU started functioning from September 24, 1996. The department of ophthalmology was initiated with the aim of promoting awareness on eye donation by educating and motivating the public for this noble cause. The SRU Eye Bank, over the last 17 years, has seen a tremendous increase in the number of eye donations. From a mere 288 eyes from 1996 to 2005, 960 eyes were collected from 2006 to 2012.
- 24 hour around-the-clock service.
- Dedicated phone line (24 Hours) 044-24765515/30, Ext. 8219, 8152, 8218
- Direct line to the Manager.
- Structured procedure for procurement and corneal button processing with sterile precautions under laminar flow.
- Evaluation of donor tissue by Slit Lamp, Specular Microscopy.
- Appropriate serological screening of the donor blood sample.
- Preservation in storage media.
- A suitable patient is called upon and corneal transplantation surgery is performed as early as possible.
- Enucleation procedure is being performed by our expertise postgraduates under sterile precautions within our campus and also at volunteer's residence.
- To date, we have performed more than 200 penetrating keratoplasties.
- The collected eyes are also used for research and training purposes.
- Every year the eye bank conducts national eye donation fortnight from 25th august to 8th September. During this period an awareness campaign in the form of exhibits and posters are displayed in the hospital campus. Brief talks about eye donation are addressed to public routinely.
- Eye bank manager also addresses and creates awareness to all camp patients regarding eye donation (Ariyalur, Thiruchendur, and Rasipuram).
- We also motivate to pledge eyes among the general public, a total number of pledges collected till date accounts to 14300.
Eye bank consultant: Prof. Kalpana Suresh, MS, FICO, FRCS, (Glasg), MBA
Eye bank manager: Mrs. Latha
Sri Ramachandra Eye Bank
Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute
Porur, Chennai -116
Ph. No: 044-24765515-30, Ext. 8219, 8152, 8218.