The Department offers training in the specialty of cardiac anesthesia with the following courses as under
- D.M in Cardiac Anesthesia
- Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowship – A two year programme conducted by the Indian Association of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia.
The Department of Cardiac Anesthesia has been approved for the D.M. Cardiac anesthesia programme and it trains MD anesthesia postgraduates who come on rotational basis to cardiac Anesthesia. Apart from training anesthesia residents, academic training to fellows in Cardiac Anesthesia (FIACTA), perfusion technology residents and Allied Health and Science (AHS) students is also done.
The academic training includes case presentations, journal clubs, intensive care unit grand rounds, staff and student seminars, mortality audit and cath conference. Faculty and senior residents are trained in invasive lines, intra aortic balloon pump insertion and chest tube insertion.
- First successful Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) via transaortic route.
- The first successful neonatal ECMO on a two day old neonate.
- Three heart transplantations on consecutive days.
- Country first LVAD in 1999.
- Successful in implantation of a miniature pacemaker, the smallest of its kind(the Micra Transcatheter Pacing System without wires or the need for a surgical pocket under the skin) on an octogenarian, the first of its kind in South India.