About the Department / Program
Plastic Surgery is one of the key surgical subspecialties. The Department of Plastic Surgery deals with the repair, reconstruction, or replacement of physical defects of form or function involving the skin, craniomaxillofacial structures, hand, extremities, breast and trunk, external genitalia or cosmetic enhancement of these areas of the body
At Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department is staffed by surgeons with specialized training and skills in one or more of a wide range of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery services including reconstructive microsurgery, craniofacial surgery, facial reconstructive surgery, aesthetic plastic surgery, breast surgery, pediatric plastic surgery and hand surgery.
Since its inception in 1996, the Department has progressed to become a Centre Of Excellence with specialists capable of delivering state of the art treatment. In this context we are proud to state that all our treatment is individualized and delivered with utmost empathy and specifically tailored to the need and the situation of the patient and family. Presently we treat nearly 2500 patients every year including some very challenging ones, referred to us from across the country and from overseas. The Department is actively involved in numerous academic, research and community service activities in collaboration with various national and international organisations.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
• Utilization of state of the art equipment and contemporary modalities to improve treatment outcome of acute and chronic wounds (including negative pressure wound therapy, Dermal regeneration matrix)
• A very proficient Microsurgical unit with advanced microvascular reconstructions and Brachial Plexus injury repairs
• One of the country’s top Multidisciplinary Cleft and Craniofacial services delivering comprehensive rehabilitation. More than 13000 procedures performed till date with nearly 8000 patients under active follow up.
• Specialised state of the art Burn care unit with dedicated trained staff, advanced reconstructive surgical techniques and up to date burn care modalities
• Our faculty have trained from some of the best centres from across the world in their respective sub specialities
• Our consultants have been in the forefront of imparting training to plastic and maxillofacial surgeons across the world and have actively taken part in seminars, symposiums, workshops and congresses globally.
• Our faculty are members of various national and international medical organisations including Ethicon Microsurgery, AO-CMF and ICMR.
• 22 Plastic surgery residents and 21 Craniofacial Fellows from across the country have trained with us.
• Regular CMEs and Workshops are organized by the Department for medical and paramedical students chaired by national and international faculty
• Several ongoing research works in collaboration with national and international funding agencies.
• Published work in various Indian and International Journals and text books